The Women’s Prize for Playwriting is open to writers who are:
- female or non-binary
- resident in the UK or Republic of Ireland
- aged sixteen or older.
Submitted scripts must:
- last an hour or more in playing time
- not have been professionally produced (i.e. no more than five ticketed performances, and no professional reviews)
- not have received any other prizes or awards.
Submitted scripts may be:
- any cast size
- any genre and style, except musical or pantomime (plays which contain songs are eligible)
- own all copyright relating to the script
- submit only one script
- include their name(s) and contact details on the first page of the script.
- The writer of the script which is awarded the First Prize by the judging panel will receive £12,000.
- The prize money comprises £12,000 as a fee in respect of an exclusive option for Paines Plough and Ellie Keel Productions to co-produce the winning script. Pursuant to the option, a decision will be taken whether to produce the script within 12 months of the awards ceremony. In the absence of a decision being taken to produce the play within the 12 months, all professional rights will revert to the writer.
- If the winning play is produced by Paines Plough and Ellie Keel Productions then royalties and other arrangements will be negotiated separately.